Raiser's Edge Ideas has moved!

Be able to run a canned report based on the total number of years given (not consecutive)

Recently I was asked to generate data for my director of all the donors who had given 10+ years (not consecutive) to our organization, total amount each donor had given during all these years, last gift date, average gift amount and the total amount given for each fiscal year. (We run on a fiscal year-not a calendar year) Our database currently has 19 years worth of data in it. I was unable to use any of the canned reports to generate this information. What I ended up having to do was create a query with a gift date greater than 12/31/1993 and a gift amount greater than 0. I also filtered by gift types. After I ran that query, I went to export, attached the query I had created and then filtered on these fields: average gift amount, Total gift amount for all years, last gift date, and total gift amount for each fiscal year. I had to set the dates within the filter for each fiscal year. I also pulled addressee. It took the export quite a while to run 19 years worth of data. I exported the information to excel. From there, I renamed the fields so the director would know which fields represented which years, etc. Then came trying to hide or delete the "0" fields in the spreadsheet but count the years correctly of those who had given 10+ years. I found that challenging in and of itself. I was unaware that when the data exported from RE, it came over as text. I reformatted my fields to numerical but still had problems getting the "count function" to work correctly. I finally got this function to work: =COUNTIF(E20:W20,">$0.00"). When I called BB, I was told that the count function issue was outside the support of RE. I had also previously called them about how to obtain this information but was told there was no easy way to extract the data.

I spent hours trying to manipulate the data only to learn that my director is going to want this information on a recurring basis and also she wants to be able to do a merge letter to those who have given "x" number of years based on this data.

During this process, I learned that there was no easy way to pull this information from Raiser's Edge. I am not an experienced Crystal Report user so that option was out for me. And, our organization is a small, non-profit who cannot afford the high fees it would cost to have a custom report written for us.

This problem with having to pull the information this way is that each time I need to generate the information and export it, I have to go through the whole process of reformatting the excel document and reinserting the formula to count the data. The data gets stale fast and there is no easy way to update it. Also, I would need to insert the address fields so that a merge letter could be done to those donors the director wishes to mail a letter to.

My supervisor said to me, "surely this is not an unreasonable request." I thought about what she said and I agree. We cannot be the only organization that would like to know out of "x" number of total years of data, how many donors have given "x" number of years (not consecutively). This information is valuable to us because it shows donor loyalty over the years and we want to recognize these donors in some way. With the economy the way it is, we are trying to maximize our connections with our donors.

Please vote for this sugestion. This type of canned report could benefit alot of organizations who have had good donors over a number of years who need to be thanked and recognized for their contributions. It is a way to reconnect on a higher level with our donors.

1,362 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Dianne Smith shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

33 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  · 

I would also need a report similar to the one described Diane uses.

• Anonymous commented  · 

Does anyone know if this has been addressed? I'm a new RE user.

• Alison Hall commented  · 

YES PLEASE! I agree with other comments that total years given is essential data for all Development offices. I was surprised to discover it wasn't already available - this data should be easily accessed from reports as well as exports. Thanks.

• Lynn Boulger commented  · 

Oh, this is what we are looking for too, at College of the Atlantic. This is so disappointing that it's not been solved or addressed more than three years later. With out last database, we could do this with a push of the button. Now we are paying more for RE, and everything seems to take a lot longer.

• Dianne Smith commented  · 

Rslager, can you send me a copy of your report? BB wanted over $4000 to set that up for us. I do not know how to set up all those formulas. I would be interested in seeing how you did that. Thank you.

• rslager777 at gmail commented  · 

I had to do this through Crystal Reports, which in some ways wasn't that hard to set up, but it required a bunch of formulas I don't normally use.

If they set this up, it'd be nice if it was like the Consecutive Years report but more like Consistent Giving. In other words, we want to recognize certain donors who give loyally. If they gave 21 out of the past 23 calendar years, the consecutive years report has no leeway for long time donors who miss a year.

• Anonymous commented  · 

OMG! This is exactly what my Development Dept needs! Not consecutive giving but totals years giving. I also find myself running multiple queries and exporting data from our fancy Raiser's Edge into good, old Excel to get the reports needed. It is time-consuming and absolutely ridiculous that RE cannot do this easily.

Raiser's Edge...are you going to address this need in RE NXT?

• Eileen commented  · 

I, too, have been asked to give a report similar to this and it was a very exhaustive process. A canned report would be so helpful and this is a very useful and desired report.

• Liz Rich commented  · 

Along with a report, I would like to be able to export years giving. I just exported the data using Knowledgebase solution BB31783 "How to find constituents who gave during a certain number of years." I did all years (from 1984 until 2014). Then, I imported the information back in to Raiser's Edge as an attribute. This was a lot of work.

Thank you Jenny and Dawn. Glad to know I am not alone in this process. I dread this report every year.

• Jenny Physioc commented  · 

I just spent 4 days exporting this data to excel to get this information on 4,800 records. A simple formula works to calculate the numbers of years given after exporting the cum.summ of gifts for each year. Boy what a job it was setting it up. So it can be done but certainly not quickly!

• Dawn commented  · 

This type of report is crucial for a development department to be able to run quickly and efficiently. I, too, have spent hours trying to manipulate Raiser's Edge data in order to provide the information that has been requested by my colleagues. Blackbaud, please put this in your queue to work on! Thank you, in advance.

• Anonymous commented  · 

I am somewhat relieved to see that I'm not the only one struggling with this report request. Each time our new Planned Giving Director asks me to run a report for her, I cringe! Please, Blackbaud.....

Sorry Carrie. I have talked with Blackbaud on the phone and created this post with no acceptable response expect the workaround listed above. I would love it if Blackbaud would create this report for us. We have over 20 years of data to export which is very time consuming.

• Carrie Sorensen commented  · 

Yikes! I didn't realize this wasn't a feature already. We have a giving society that recognizes donors who have given 25 years or more, consecutive or not. With our old database, we were able to create a report to count the years of giving. I'm nervous now about the switch to RE.

I agree totally Nanette. Are you listening Blackbaud???

• Nanette Bledel commented  · 

We need a query or export or canned report to give number of years giving, not number of gifts and not consecutive years but the total years a donor has been giving. Essential tool for our research team.

• Sarah Clemens commented  · 

Being able to find the loyal donors is an essential aspect of a planned giving program. This should be a standard report.

Blackbaud, are you listening??? We still need a report of this type

← Previous 1

Raiser's Edge Discovery Topics

Feedback and Knowledge Base