Raiser's Edge Ideas has moved!

Make Import-o-matic a default function of the Raiser's Edge

The plugin Import-o-matic contains basic functionality that RE ought to have for every user. Instead of having to figure out all the mapping and do multiple imports to make a complete record. You should be able to map whole records at one time and in one place. If you can exporrt all the fields at once, why can't you import them all at once?

1,172 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    David De Boer shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

33 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Jeff commented  · 

"Import-o-matic is a partner product for customers who do import extensively, this partnership is available to make frequent importing more efficient." I love how this response captures just how inefficient The Raiser's Edge is. While certainly good for the folks of Omatic to have the ability to capitalize on RE's limitations, it's an incredibly bad look for Blackbaud to permit such a wide gap in functionality.

• Anonymous commented  · 

"Importing new constituents and gifts as a single import process." YES! Or another issue I deal with is getting lists of donations from both old and new donors. Getting all this donor and gift into RE has been a complete headache. It is very suspicious to me that most of the staff of IOM are former Blackbaud employees, this product is made specifically to work with a Blackbaud product, and Blackbaud support will advice you to purchase this "module." There is no reason this should be a separate product- it should be an integral part of the Raiser's Edge software to begin with.

• Judy Spigarelli commented  · 

I have not yet upgraded to 7.94. Did the import functionality improve?

• Anonymous commented  · 

but Import o Matic is too expensive for those of us with a small number of constituents in our database. We just cannot justify the expense.

• Eileen commented  · 

I agree that the importing functionality of RE is not what it should be and we should not have to purchase a third party program to make it work more effectively.

• Catherine commented  · 

Does import-omatic only works for Raiser's Edge? Can this be used for an organization who does not have the Blackbaud "bundle" but needs a software to connect all the different databases?

• Deb commented  · 

The importing functionality of Raiser's Edge is not what it should be. Raiser's Edge is supposed to be a user friendly database helping track everything donor - gifts, grants, stewardship, actions, events, research, etc. It does so many of these things seamlessly but the importing is insane. We should not have to purchase yet another module/plug-in to import more effectively - by time or talent.

• Barbara Heringer commented  · 

Yes I agree, we should be able to import all the fields that we can export at the same time, only make sense. Please, Please ALLOW this.

• Jana Gay commented  · 

please please please at least allow improved import function without us having to purchase another product!

• Brenda Anderson commented  · 

I think this needs to be reviewed again. Blackbaud has an excellent product. However, over the years they have added many modules. The basic fundraising processes have gotten more difficult. Obtaining information needed for a robust database is easy. Importing it into the Raiser's Edge is not. This very expensive product should not have their clients outsource to get vital information imported into their database.

• Josh commented  · 

IOM is a separate company created by ex-blackbaud employees. At this time I'm not aware of any talk of blackbaud buying IOM. If the IOM people actually cared about the service they provide, why would they sell. If blackbaud bought it, they are not obligated to integrate or even do anything with it. They could just buy it to put IOM out of business or continue to sell it at the same cost. It does make a lot of money as-is. From a business perspective (don't forget, blackbaud is a for-profit business), it doesn't make sense for them to eliminate this income stream.

That said, I agree that it's absurd that the functionality available in IOM isn't already native to RE.

• Judy Spigarelli commented  · 

My opinion reflects that of others here. RE is aware imports are necessary and they are aware they are difficult. I should not have to incur the cost of another software in order to perform a procedure necessary to running my RE database. Can anyone verify if IOM is being or has been purchased by BB? I thought I heard that it is actually their product. Not looking to start any rumors, looking for the facts instead.

• Anonymous commented  · 

It is so counterproductive to have to do separate imports for constituent, gift and membership and then membership link. There really should be more user friendly way to import.

• Stu MacMillan commented  · 

'Import-o-matic is a partner product' - Do Blackbaud not have a vested interest in making The Raisers Edge and its functionality the best it can possibly be? If they know people much prefer the usability, functionality and user interface of import-o-matic than the current import functionality should they not be trying to replicate it to some extent or even better it? Jenn you have said 'the partnership is available to make import easier' - why is import so difficult to begin with? This just feels like another way for Blackbaud to get more money from charitable organisations!

• JoAnn S commented  · 

We've looked into IOM. But our import needs are minimal so it wasn't cost effective for us at all. We run with 3 user licenses and cost was still very expensive. Sales rep even seemed surprised that we were looking at software with so few users. Would really be nice if import process was easier and/or IOM was part of RE.

• Catherine commented  · 

OR AT LEAST MAKE IT AFFORDABLE. The last time I asked for a quote was ridiculously expensive because they go by the number of users per site which does not make sense at all because you would not let your gift officers or data entry users do an advance import.

• Jessica Mavaro commented  · 

To David's point - Raiser's Edge uses propietary language making it very costly to build API's to integrate with other softwares. So, integration is not an option for a large number of us. This makes the import function critical to business processes. Making the email address a standard duplicate criteria, in my mind, is critical and theoretically should be an easy fix to the software. That is basically why we bought IOM - the ability to open and edit records and edit your source data during the import is a nice-to-have, as is the ability to import many fields in one shot, but it really came down to using email address as a duplicate criterion. And it feels quite slimy from the customer point of view to push us onto a third party vendor to fix that problem in 2013.

• David De Boer commented  · 

To Jen Mercer's Comment of 11/13/13
        The point of the suggestion is to say "Importing" should be easier by default, not though some add-on that costs more. Everyone has lists of info that are not in RE that we would love to get into RE. But RE by it's design makes it difficult to quickly put this info info where it needs to go. This should not be and that's why I made the suggestion and that's why it has 650 votes.

• Melissa Graves commented  · 

Does that mean that BB is not interested in making ANY improvements to import so it does a few things better (such as duplicate management, importing gifts with constituents, etc.)?

• Sherrel Battles commented  · 

Jean, does that mean Blackbaud is not interested in making it a 'regular' component of RE?

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base