Raiser's Edge Ideas has moved!

Add an 'End Date' field for attributes.

Currently users who need a function with a start and end date use Constituency Code, meaning we now have hundreds of constituency codes, and are unable to annote these data. By having two dates on attributes, we would be able to manage time dependent data (e.g. the period over which someone belonged to a particular club/activity) PLUS (unlike constituency codes) we'd be able to use the existing Comment field to describe/abnnotate the attribute
e.g:
Category: Clubs & Societies
Description: Rowing Club
(Start) Date: 01/08/48
End Date: 31/07/51
Comments: Fixtures Sec 49/50, Club President 50/51

1,605 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    David Smith shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

20 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  · 

Small change but big impact. Absolutely needed!

• Heidi Saperstein commented  · 

an active checkbox would be helpful too! Also, need to make sure that both date fields and active box were able to be queried and exported as well.

• Judy Spigarelli commented  · 

Jeff, that's a great idea too! A second description field would be even more useful. Either way, one of them is greatly needed!

• Nia Smith commented  · 

This would make a huge difference when querying or exporting information based on attributes

• Anonymous commented  · 

Yes please - would love an "End Date" field in attributes!

• Dee Dee commented  · 

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE add "End Date" field to attributes!!!

• Lili Spencer commented  · 

We would really benefit from having a date from and date to field for our attributes. There are many things that are date sensitive that we want to track, but do not want to track under constituent codes.

• Jeff Jolin commented  · 

I have been asking for years to add a 2nd Description field for all attributes, just like the first Description field. You could then make it a date, yes/no, Table value, etc. I would have far fewer attribute categories if I had this functionality.

• Victoria Phillips commented  · 

I can see several potential uses for an End Date, including being able to record "holds" for some kinds of communications, e.g. if a supporter says "ask me again in a couple of years" when asked to upgrade, or when it's decided that certain kinds of activity should exclude people from some marketing for a particular length of time

End Dates would make things nice and clear for users, rather than them having to know the ins and outs of complicated selection queries, and they could be easily cleared off/updated as necessary.

• Jessica Pionke commented  · 

Heather MacKenzie, we tag our volunteers the same way. As a work around, we created an Attribute category of "End Date" and formatted the description field to take the end date. We use the Attribute date field to record the day we updated the field and comments as needed.

• Heather MacKenzie commented  · 

In part, we code our employees through the attributes area and right now we only have the ability to put starting dates for when they are current employees and the start date of the former employee status. We can put more information into the comments field, but it would be nice to be able to use the end dates as a query-able field as well as the start dates.

• Alan Cole commented  · 

This wouold certainly be helpful....Often times a historical perspective on an attribute is helpful and it would make querying on such attributes much cleaner as well.

• Judy Spigarelli commented  · 

End dates on attributes would be very, very useful. We use attributes to assign donor segmentation and volunteer activities. I am familiar with the volunteer module, we simply don't have the volume to justify purchasing it. Instead of annual segmentation attributes, I would prefer to know when they qualified and when they no longer qualify. I also use gift attributes to mark accounts receivable. An end date would help me to query only those still active. We do not make all pledges AR, so the pledge reports are not as easily manipulated. I run a pledge report based on a gifts query of gifts with the attribute and then export. With an end date, I would eliminate a few steps.

• Kris commented  · 

Yes yes yes. This is a real problem because as it is we have to remove attributes and then lose the history.

• Alan Cole commented  · 

Yes...I have wished for this on more than one ocassion. While sometimes able to adapt consituencies to account for this, it is not always a viable solution, and rarely a desired one. But some attributes are not related to constituency at all, and expire over time.

Your options at this point are to delete the attribute (along with its historic value) or created annual versions of the same attribute and reassign them on an annual basis. I say annual but other periodic measurements may apply. Additionally, this would allow better filtering control in querying as well.

• Art Bryman, bCRE commented  · 

For organizations that may not need all the extra functionality that Events/Membership/Volunteer or Honor/Memorial modules provide, or are unable to afford them, a second date field would be very useful. Attributes were designed for situations where the other fields aren't usable, so we should be able to use two date fields, and a comments field. Especially since a comment field isn't available in Constituent Codes, and we may not want excessive constituent codes where an attribute would suffice.

• Peggy Weisensel Chavey commented  · 

We've come up with a number of workarounds to get start & end date functionality. I would much prefer if the information were in an attribute with 2 associated dates. Reporting/exporting attributes is considerably easier than reporting/exporting relationships.

• Tomasz Malkiewicz commented  · 

We use relationship to describe constituents membership in a group/club etc. It has from /to dates. But still I like the idea of date to in attributes.

• Vici Wolff commented  · 

adding end dates to attributes would be very useful
        and so would adding comments to constituency codes!!

• Blair Garbade commented  · 

I agree! Constituency Codes should not be so clunky and this is definitely the kind of information that belongs in attributes! We are toying with the idea of adding a to date in the comments field of attributes so there is at least some reference to the duration of a person's membership in a group. This way, when we do queries and want to pull only active individuals, we can query based on whether the comments field is blank. Just a thought...

Raiser's Edge Discovery Topics

Feedback and Knowledge Base