Raiser's Edge Ideas has moved!

Make all fields accessible in Mail functions

In tab "2: Fields to Include" in Mail there have been arbitrary decisions made on what fields would be available to use in a Merge. If the field I want to use is not listed I must use Export to create the merge, preventing me from taking advantage of things like marking gifts as receipted.

All mail functions should have a full field list available as we do in Export.

1,298 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Peter GulkaPeter Gulka shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

89 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  · 

I agree - why not have all fields present for use in mailing? I'd like to list the number of years a constituent has been a Member: i.e. "over the past XX years your support has helped us..." etc.

• Steve VineySteve Viney commented  · 

My need is to use the primary salutation of the giver of a gift membership. The giver's addressee and address fields are all available but not the primary salutation, so you can't address a letter to them.

• WillWill commented  · 

As already mentioned by some, solicitor information seems like a prominent absence. Additionally, Gift ID or Import ID, some sort of unique identifier, would be very helpful when running batches of hundreds of gifts.

• Ailsa AdamsAilsa Adams commented  · 

We would like to put Membership information on the same letter as the Direct Debit Advance notice letters. This means Bank Account, Account holder, Membership Category and Membership Expiry all on the same Mail Letter. Currently we have to print and pack 2 letters and match them together or not use MAIL function at all.

• Liz WhittingtonLiz Whittington commented  · 

I would like all of the fields available to merge but specifically the gift attributes. We customize our letters and having these fields available to merge into the letters would make our process much simpler.

• KerryKerry commented  · 

Anonymous - I wholeheartedly agree with you! Getting data out of RE the way you want it without going through hoops and much manual effort is impossible. Added to the fact that you have to type the same things over and over and over - no copy or save as function for data - makes this less than the Cadillac it is supposed to be. This one request to have all fields available in query lists would save countless hours of unnecessary manual work.

• Anonymous commented  · 

Jenn, With ALL due respect... The one-to-one relationships between Raisers Edge silos are at the very core of the multiple issues all of us have with RE. It really does not matter what bells and whistles RE has for storing information if we cannot export those same data fields for merges into letters etc. Primary phone and primary email are useless upgrades if we do not also have the 'preferred' phone and email option that can pull them from whatever their origination type might be into a single field in a query list. Same with summary gift fields, etc. The very file structure used for RE is at the core of the problem and forces you to build your own work-arounds simply to allow us to access information that in Access would be a one-to-many relationship and therefore would not create multiple pulls of the same constituent. RE programmers like to frown at us and tell us that Query List is the answer... dupes will disappear like magic. Unfortunately, so will every other field we wanted to use. One-to-one... Just look at the forums. Hundreds of requests for work-arounds for a system that is touted as the best. And what are we asking for? Work-arounds for the simplest of capacities... a single record when we want a phone number... Time for a complete rebuild bottom up. The only 'one' at the one-to-many relationship would be the household index...

• Shannon StepanekShannon Stepanek commented  · 

Need to have the Gift Import ID as a field when using the Mail Function to generate Pledge reminders. Very Necessary!

• Anonymous commented  · 

I would like a full field list available because in Renewal Notices we like to use this also to help us update their information so there are fields we would love to have. People just don't want to fill in forms (yes we are turning into a some-what lazy society) and if all they have to do is make one or two changes as oppose to filling it all in then they are more likely to send it back to us. We currently have a form that we use with an export and then have to run the Mail to mark the records. Would like to do this all at one time.

• LaurenLauren commented  · 

It would be helpful to have the field "Consecutive Years Giving" so we can add that to our long term donors thank you letters.

• Hannah WestHannah West commented  · 

We would love to have the Last Gift Amount to go along with the Last Gift Date you already added.

• Brian HalliseyBrian Hallisey commented  · 

It would be helpful to have gift attributes available so that when letters are being created in mail the gift attributes would be available to populate the letters.

• Anonymous commented  · 

I would add that we definitely need the ability to pull out more gift info, summary gift info and the SOLICITOR too. I agree with previous comments about various team members needing to vet our mailing lists and that is usually done by Solicitor.

• TashaTasha commented  · 

Including more fields especially in the membership section. We do gift of membership renewal letters and due to the limited options, we have to do a complicated work-around to get these to work. Membership module needs more fields available in mail!

Thanks!

• Megan M.Megan M. commented  · 

Why can't all mail functions have the same field list as Export? The field I'm sorely needing this month is the summary receipt amount. If it was there, we would be able to run our end of year tax receipts through Mail but since it's not, I have to export the Query and run an old fashioned manual mail merge.

• Philip StenderPhilip Stender commented  · 

I need the Membership Attributes in Gift Mail/Receipts.

The reason is that our membership number gets calculated with a special algorithm and for some reason it was decided during the implementation that the membership number should be an attribute. Now I am stuck with this but I need to export this number for the gifts receipts.

Thanks.

• Darrel GDarrel G commented  · 

Please add the stock/property fields. If any receipt must be customized, it's for a stock transfer.

• Rachel KulsdomRachel Kulsdom commented  · 

You have all of the fields from a tax declaration, except 'Pays Tax?' I would also persoanlly like Letter Code field.

← Previous 1 3 4 5

Feedback and Knowledge Base