Raiser's Edge Ideas has moved!

Remove outlook as a default email program as it launches outlook when you click on an email address to edit or copy. Please and thank you!

884 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Stephanie Johnson shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

36 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  · 

This is almost 6 years old and has 884 votes. How can we make this happen?

• Maria Shaffer commented  · 

I find it particularly annoying when I have to open a user in Security and it automatically tries to connect to Outlook, which we do not use.

• Anonymous commented  · 

Yes I would prefer that it just did nothing when you click on it. You can always copy and paste it into your email sofware. It is a nightmare for updating. I know one solution is to change the email type from email to telephone but then when you are trying to do ereceipts the emails do not show up for options to select from.

• Amanda J commented  · 

Yes, please! Especially as we use Outlook 365 and Blackbaud has told me there is currently no way to make our hosted RE compatible with it. If I or another user accidentally click on an email address or an action reminder, RE "tries" to launch Outlook and I have to go through a few minutes of hitting "cancel" buttons before I can get out of the blackhole I have stumbled into. It wastes a lot of time - not to mention I have users who still don't get it and ask me to fix their RE/Outlook all the time.

• Tony Graddon commented  · 

We also support this request for both RE and CRM enhancements.

With rare exceptions we do not wish to send email directly from RE, but we often need to update email addresses.

Suggest that there could be a Config option so that Right Click is required to launch Outlook and Left click to edit email address.

We are currently in Discovery phase with view to migrating to BB CRM, so please also apply this request to the CRM product development stream.

• David Wanless commented  · 

This is very annoying behaviour and has kept us from configuring email addresses as email addresses for years, which has limited other functionality, e.g., the search screen in RE 7.9x won't find email addresses for us.

• Nicole S. commented  · 

Frankly, having worked somewhere that uses Outlook for a few months now, I have to say I would prefer that clicking an email just did nothing. Most of the time when I click an email, I am actually trying to make a correction or copy it. Then it opens up Outlook and starts an email and it's very annoying.

It's so easy to copy and paste, do we really need it to begin an email for us in this day and age? It may have seemed fancy and efficient 15 years ago. But now I think I groan even more than when I didn't use outlook.

• Anonymous commented  · 

I have found that if you want to edit or copy an email address, you first click in the email LABEL field and then TAB over to the email address. Once you tab, you can edit or copy without opening Outlook.

• Paul Morriss commented  · 

You could give a popup menu with three options when you click on an email:
        edit
        copy
        create new email

• Melissa Jan commented  · 

Opening the default email client would be preferred.

• Liz Rich commented  · 

If the hyperlink is taken out, NetCommunity does not recognize the email address in RE.

• Anonymous commented  · 

I get stuck in that feature every time I try to enter or edit an email in BB

• Elizabeth Naughton commented  · 

Oh, I agree! I use Outlook, but it's so annoying that it opens an email window when I am just trying to update the email address.

• Jennifer Miller commented  · 

Our users do not all use the same email program, and some use both outlook and google, depending on where on campus they are working at the time. So, I also vote for having the hyperlink open the default email program set on your computer.

• Melissa Graves commented  · 

It would be better if it recognized the default already set on your computer like all other programs do.

• Benjamin Brennan commented  · 

It would be nice if you could set the default e-mail program you want to use

• Peggy Weisensel Chavey commented  · 

We are a GoogleApps site. It would be lovely if hosted folks could integrate with gmail and the gmail calendar.

• Liz Rich commented  · 

We are in the midst of moving from Microsoft Outlook to Gmail and I know other schools and non-profits are doing this also. It would be great if RE would integrate with Gmail. Thanks.

• Kaylen Williams commented  · 

Please add gmail and integrate with the gmail calendar

• Aaron Boydston commented  · 

The strange thing is that generic mailto: hyperlinks are completely standard. If it were a mailto: hyperlink, the system's default email client would pick it up. So Outlook would still work and other clients would work too.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base